Is Your Home Ready For 2017? Ask A Beaumont Roofing Company
Beaumont Roofing Company
Now we’ve rung in the new year, it’s time to think about how we’re going to keep our homes in tip top shape. That can mean a lot of things, from having a deep clean, making those minor repairs that have needed doing, or redecorating a tired room. Have you thought about how your roof comes into this? This guide will help you understand whether you need to do any repairs or replace it, and when you’ll need to call in a Beaumont roofing company.
Why check your roof?
How often do you look at your roof? Hardly ever, we’ll bet. After all, you live under it, so when do you ever get to look at it properly?
There’s plenty of reasons why you should, though. It’s the best defence your home has against the elements. If any problems develop, you could be sitting under a leaking roof, or one that’s letting the cold air in this winter.
Keep an eye on your roof regularly, and you’ll be able to spot small repairs that need doing before they become bigger, more expensive jobs that need to be done later on. You can call in a Beaumont roofing service to check it too, if you’d like an expert’s opinion.
Head inside first
If you’re checking your roof, the first thing you need to do is check it on the inside first. Head up into your attic and be ready to do a full inspection.
You’re looking for:
- Places where the roof deck is sagging
- Signs of water damage, or water leaking into the attic
- Dark spots and trails
- Outside light showing through the roof
If you see any of these things, they’re signs that your roof needs some tender loving care. This would be the time when you get roofing services Beaumont in, as they’ll be able to make the repairs needed to stop the damage spreading further.
An exterior checklist
Now you’ve checked the inside, it’s time to actually get onto your roof and really give it a good inspection. Keep this checklist in mind as you do so, and you won’t miss anything.
- Missing tiles: Your tiles shouldn’t just fall of the roof. If they are, there could be a problem with the fixings that have been used. You’re most likely to lose tiles from the perimeter of the roof, so look there first.
- Mold or moss: If there’s a large amount of this growing on your roof, it can start forcing the tiles apart. If this happens, it can start letting water in. A chemical treatment can be used to kill and remove it from the roof.
- Sagging: The line of your roof should run straight across along the ridge. If you spot a sag in that line, that’s a sign that there may be structural damage.
- Damaged flashing: Your flashing can become damaged if the caulking beneath it has dried out, and so is allowing water to seep in.
- Debris in the gutters: While you’re on the roof, check your gutters. Check for pieces of shingles or the granules are used as a top coat on them. If you find any, it’s a sign that your shingles are deteroriating.
- Damage to the underlay: Your underlay and your tiles work together to keep water out of your home. If there’s a single tear in it, it’s easy to repair. If it’s begun to rot though, it will need replacing entirely.
- Age: If your roof is 15 years or older, it will start showing signs of deterioration. If you see any, it may be time to replace.
Repair or replace?
This depends on the age of your roof, and the state of disrepair that it’s in. If it’s 15 years or older, it will probably need to be replaced. If it’s sustained a large amount of damage, it will also need replacing. It’s not always the case, though. Ask a roof repair Beaumont expert and see what they say.
If you need repairs or your roof replaced entirely, call us here at ABCO Roofing and Construction. We can make your roof as good as new again.